In regions where snow and ice make appearances, the plummeting temperatures necessitate careful clothing preparations to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable experience. As the North enters the coldest phase of the season, with frost gracing landscapes like Phia Oac peak (Cao Bang), Mau Son (Lang Son), and Binh Lieu (Quang Ninh), travelers venturing to these locales to witness the magic of ice should take heed of the following insights, drawn from the experiences of seasoned individuals like Mr. Vu Minh Quan, a photographer with a successful history of capturing snowscapes, and Mr. Lekima Hung, a specialist in organizing phototour programs to renowned domestic and international winter destinations.
Tips for Chasing Ice and Snow:
- Understanding Snow Conditions:
- Frost commonly appears as temperatures drop in the North, but snowfall is not guaranteed. Snow originates from clouds above, while frost forms directly on the ground due to freezing water vapor.
- Mr. Vu Minh Quan notes that heavy rain often precedes snowfall, and a dry cold spell may make it difficult for snow to occur, even in freezing conditions.
- Snowfall in Vietnam is typically brief, lasting only a few hours or even minutes during particular events.
- Checking Snow Warnings and Being Flexible:
- Monitoring weather forecasts and snow warnings before planning a trip is advisable.
- Flexibility in travel plans is crucial, as snow events can be unpredictable. Staying in potential snow locations during a cold spell increases the chances of witnessing snowfall.
Clothing Essentials for Cold and Snowy Conditions:
- Layered Clothing:
- Wear warm layers, including hats, socks, and scarves. Clothing should consist of multiple layers: a moisture-proof layer, a heat-retaining layer, an insulation layer, and a windproof layer (rainproof).
- Tight pants beneath outer layers help retain heat more effectively.
- Adjusting Clothing Based on Activity:
- For strenuous activities like mountain climbing, a thermal layer may not be necessary, but keeping ears and hands warm is essential.
- Appropriate Footwear:
- Shoes with thick lining keep feet warm, and soles with spikes or patterns prevent slipping in slippery terrain. Specialized snow shoes are necessary in snowy destinations.
- Additional Items:
- Carry thermal patches to apply to the back or soles of feet for extra warmth, effective for around 8 hours.
- Bring a thermos with hot water mixed with ginger tea for warmth.
- Pack necessary medicines, including digestive, cold, and cough medications. Wind oil can be beneficial in various situations.
By adhering to these tips, travelers can enhance their safety and comfort when exploring destinations adorned with snow and ice, ensuring a memorable and enjoyable winter experience.